Our religion program is to help the students know and develop a relationship with our all-loving Trinitarian God: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They learn to celebrate being Christians and are given the tools to live as followers of Christ in this most demanding world. The program allows for a variety of prayer experiences, reading and understanding scripture, understanding and reception of the sacraments and the life-giving grace that they afford us.
Overview: across the grades levels, introduces, refines, and masters the following:
- Church doctrine
- Christian morality
- Prayer and worship
- Social Justice and peace
- Service to our local and global communities
Sampling of topics covered:
Grades 1 - 3
- Learning that our God is a forgiving God who has made everything.
- Understand the concept of being part of God’s kingdom.
- Learning stories of the Christmas and Easter seasons; the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Christ…
- Understand free will and making choices.
- Learning to put good intentions into action.
- Lives of the Saints and other Christian people.
- Basic prayers and exposure to liturgy.
- Learning about Holy Days, sacraments and receiving the sacraments at age appropriate times
- Becoming familiar with the Ten Commandments
- Becoming familiar with the Eucharist and Jesus’ presence therein.
- Learning about the Trinity
- Learning about the parts of the Mass and participating in liturgy
Grades 4 - 5
All of the above, as well as:
- Becoming familiar with the Beatitudes
- Becoming aware that they are called to be holy
- Understanding the importance of faithfulness, honesty, and loyalty in our daily living.
- Learning about the Creed and the fundamental beliefs of the Catholic Church
- . · Understanding that being fair and just to everyone brings peace.
- Learning about the missions, service, and lay ministry.
- Understanding that God speaks through scripture.
- Learning about sacramentals.
- Comprehending the use of Covenant in the Old Testament
- Learn to look up references in the Bible.
- Learning about the power in personal prayer.
Grades 6 - 8
All of the above, as well as:
- Understanding the liturgical cycles.
- Understand Jesus as the Word of God made flesh.
- Begin using moral decision-making.
- Planning and participating in the celebrations of prayer services and liturgy
- Understanding the power of personal prayer and meditation
- Learning and participating in variety of styles of prayer
- Understanding the church as one, holy, catholic, and apostolic
- Understanding that God calls all Christians to proclaim the Good News and to live in community.
- Sharing the gifts of faith, hope, and love, the students grown in their relationship with God.
Planting a future
Saint John the Baptist School is dedicated to providing a quality Catholic education that encourages its community to be life-long learners and leaders, to live their faith with high moral standards, and to grow academically, spiritually, and socially.
Visit Our School
Schedule a Tour
19 Chestnut Street
Peabody, MA 01960